Helsinki International Horse Show has followed a sustainability program since 2017. In 2019 the main theme of the Horse Show Jumps Green program is Zero Waste. This year we are concentrating on recylcling and reducing waste. Additionally the Fortum HorsePower Concept continues to be a big part of our sustainability program.
Helsinki Horse Show is applying for an EcoCompass certificate. EcoCompass is an environmental management system designed for the use of events.
Zero Waste initiatives
- Refill coffee cups donated to international grooms
- Water station for spectators – bring own bottles
- Recycling of organic waste, cardboard, plastic, paper, office supplies and hazardous waste
- Recycling organised for spectators, crew, exhibitors and caterers
- Increasing digital solutions (no printed hand program, less printed starting lists, official and rider bulletins on website, e-tickets)
- Steering the procurements in an environmentally-friendly direction (recycled materials)
- Donate and reuse materials (carpets, decorations, flowers)
- Reduce food wastage
- Manure into energy – all power used during the event is produced of horse manure
- Bedding & manure management by Fortum HorsePower
- Electric vehicles used in arena and stable area and by shuttle service
- Shuttle service partly replaced by bicycles (between hotel and venue)
- Intensification of logistics and commuting
- All used advertise boarding is made of polyvinyl chloride free material
- Favour local food ingredients
- Vegan and vegetarian dishes available
- Serve organic wines
- Sustainablility education for crew
- Jumps Green team
Collaboration with John Nurminen Foundation
Collaboration with John Nurminen Foundation continues. The Baltic Sea faces serious environmental problems and unfortunately the horse industry causes eutrophicating nutrient discharges in the sea. Our aim is to raise awarness and to raise funds for the foundation.